Below you’ll find some information which can help you with the next steps. If you can’t find what you’re looking for please get in touch.

There are a few things you’ll need to do straight away:

  • Ask for a medical certificate – The GP, doctor or hospital can help with this. This is different to a death certificate and will be used to register the death.
  • Register the death – Take the medical certificate to the registrar of births, deaths and marriages. You can find a register office on the government’s website. The process varies depending on whether the person died at home, overseas or in a hospital. There are also variations for different parts of the UK. There is some helpful information in the government’s step-by-step guide to tell you what you need to do and how quickly.
  • Ask for a death certificate – The registrar will provide you with a death certificate. You can also use a copy of the registrar’s record of death to help deal with money matters.
  • Check if there is a will – Find out whether there is a will which you may be able to find in their home. If you’re not sure if there is a will, or don’t know where it is, ask their solicitor, their bank, or their accountant if they have one. The will tells you what they want to happen with their estate and should name an executor who is the person responsible for dealing with everything. It may also contain details of what they want for a funeral.
  • Arrange the funeral – You could pay a funeral director to organise everything or get in touch with the Cemeteries and Crematorium department of your local council and ask them to make arrangements.

If you can’t find a copy of the will in their home, their solicitor, their bank, or their accountant if they have one, will be able to help you. There will be at least one executor of the estate and you’ll find details of this written in the will. If you’re not the executor, you’ll need to tell whoever is about the death straight away as there are things they’ll need to do. A solicitor can help with this if needed.

If there’s no will, an administrator can be appointed. This works differently in different nations of the UK. Look on the government’s website for more information.

Please get in touch to let us know the person on the agreement has died so we can support you with the return of the vehicle. We’ll also need to see a copy of the death certificate.

If the vehicle is a business lease, please call us on 0800 302 9160 or email us at

As soon as we hear from you, we’ll put a stop on the account so there won’t be any more direct debit charges or missed payments. We won’t charge any outstanding fees or charges to the estate.

If there have been any missed payments on the account, we’ll need to confirm with you or the estate whether these can be covered.

We’re here to support you at this time and will arrange a collection based on your individual circumstances. We aim to have collected the vehicle within 3 months of hearing from you.